Monday 25 April 2011

Scarborough Fayre

I've had this stuck in my head for a few days now, so I decided it was time to get it onto paper, and what better than my new journal that I picked up at a bargain price while I was in Edinburgh. Ok, it was a friend who's stall I bought it from so there may have been some favouritism, but who's complaining?

The pages in it are wonderful paper, although slightly thin for painting, so I added a sheet of music first, before layering with gesso and juniper acrylic. The herbs are drawn in pencil, and lettering with fineliner.

Scarborough Fayre is a traditional song that appears to have been sung as far back as the 17th century. Most people know the Simon & Garfunkel version, but I prefer this one by the Mediæval Bæbes.



6 comments:

  1. Nice pages Nigel......and I prefer the Mediaeval Baebes version too.....also enjoyed the stained glass window slide show...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Nigel ! I love that version of Scarborough Fayre ! very nice! I love that journal you have.. what a fancy cover it has ! I do drop by here often.. it's just my fingers won't type sometimes LOL but I do drop by here quite often ;0)
    Hope you have an awesome day !
    p.s. Were you able to read what was on my journal page or did you not bother trying? I'm just curious on people's reactions =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, thin paper - and clever of you to put a music sheet behind it! I love that song (and I guess - after your post - I will be humming it all day now!) I know a beautiful version from an old, Dutch rockband ('Brainbox') I like their song the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very posh-looking journal, just that bit different. That rendition is really good; not heard of them before!
    Pretty little herbs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Nigel, I am sure you had a good time in beautiful Edinburgh. Love the song!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved that version Nigel and your gossomer herb page is splendid too!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.