Friday 22 June 2012

Abandoning Art

Don't panic, I'm not giving up creating stuff.  What do you mean "that's a pity"!

There is a new group over on Facebook (I knew FB had to be useful for something), inspired by this idea by Michael deMeng. In the space of a few days there's already over 3000 artists & crafters who have signed up. There's art being abandoned all over the place, and a few of the finders have responded to an email address with some wonderful stories. If you like the idea you'll find the FB group here. You'll need to request admittance before you can see the group, or ask me for an invite.

These are the 3 pieces that I've abandoned this week at various points. The note with them reads:

Congratulations!
This piece of art has been abandoned in the hope that it will bring a smile to whoever finds it; and that’s you! 
If you like it, take it home with you
It’s part of a project by artists & crafters around the world to spread a little happiness.
There’s no catch and no obligation to do anything other than enjoy it.
If you feel like it you could let us know what happened to it by emailing: ------
 



7 comments:

  1. Greaty pieces to find! I'm working on mine.
    I think that this is a great project because for me, there is a great feeling of gifting unconditionaly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea Nigel. I'm thinking right now of where to leave my gift (where it actually might be appreciated as opposed to being thrown in the rubbish sack!).

    I love those crazy knitters that knit woolly jackets for trees and lamp posts. I t hink they call it yarn bombing or something.... Then on the other scale, I guess there's the grafitti artist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super cool idea! I would be thrilled if I found one of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow what a wonderful idea. And such great pieces. I'm sure they made someone very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cool idea...people would be thrilled to receive those pieces... I know I would...xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems to be a burgeoning movement with groups all over the world joining in, it's wonderful. I love your pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.